A rare opportunity to lead the organisation and commercialisation of an exciting new medical imaging technology with far-reaching potential in healthcare. Would suit a candidate who has gained strong commercial experience in the healthcare sector, and now wants to “make their own mark” by creating a business from the ground up, built on foundations of a unique and innovative technology with the potential to address many gaps in diagnostic pathways.
The early detection and characterisation of cancer is a priority for healthcare providers, and current techniques for diagnosis of many cancers are not completely reliable, especially for very small and early-stage tumours. A prospective spin-out company from Heriot-Watt University is developing an advanced ultrasound image processing technique that provides results of unprecedented detail, using standard equipment, with the potential to dramatically improve tumour imaging. The technique is expected to deliver benefits across diagnostic and treatment pathways, e.g. earlier detection of cancers, avoiding unnecessary invasive procedures by ruling out dangerous cancers, and better treatment-tracking of confirmed cancers.
A visionary CEO Designate is sought to join the team and take ownership of the relationship building, development of an investor-ready business plan, raising investment and forming a spinout company. This is an influential and critical role, providing an opportunity to shape a new company in the exciting field of medical imaging.
The position will initially be part-time and will be responsible for the commercial elements of the Scottish Enterprise High Growth Spin-out Programme (SE HGSP) working closely alongside the Principal Investigator (PI) and Head of Commercialisation (HoC), based at Heriot-Watt’s Edinburgh campus.
The successful candidate will be employed on a consultancy basis by Heriot-Watt University and will be required to work 2-3 days per week commencing August 2021 for a period of 12 months (subject to approval by the funder). A key objective of this project is to secure investment for the project to develop into a spin-out company. It is intended that the CEO Designate would transition to a permanent CEO role upon securing the investment.
- Strong entrepreneurial mindset, with the ability to set a visionary course and bring others along.
- An established network in the medical industry, including medical imaging.
- Experience in a senior role in a biomedical device/medical imaging company.
- Track record in building and leading a successful team in a high-growth technology start-up.
- Experience in the commercial development of new products in medical devices/medical imaging/ultrasound or a related field.
- Understanding of the healthcare imaging channels to market, and the selling processes in the different healthcare systems.
- Understanding of purchasing drivers for providers in different healthcare systems.
- Experience in raising investment in the life sciences arena, ideally related to founding a new company.
- Lead and manage company creation and commercialisation process including, but not limited to, the following goals:
- Developing the value proposition and investor-ready business plan.
- Ensure the project hits agreed milestones.
- Develop appropriate relationships to provide market feedback, including engagement with clinical and commercial collaborators to help shape technology development.
- In collaboration with the PI, design and build the team to deliver the project.
- Lead investor and industry partnering, engagement and pitching.
- Provide monthly commercial progress reports to the HoC, chair the PMG meetings and provide commercial updates in line with the HGSP commercial milestones.
Please send your CV along with covering letter detailing why you would suit this role to firstname.lastname@example.org (FAO Alexandra McConnachie).
Candidates will have interviews conducted via video conferencing.